It is important for people to be aware that copyright still applies to digital materials uploadedto theinternet. As a rule of thumb, any digital material, written, image ect, taken from another person, or that is not yours, cant be uploaded onto the internet. You are exempt from this if you have gained the permission from the owner of said digital material. As you donot have the right to distribute other people’s works without their permission, in some cases, legal action can take place. Understanding the importance of copyright within social media is key in preventing copyright issue from occurring.
Linked below is a wonderful source outlining further the copyright implications with regard to uploading material to social media.
Surprisingly, I found it quite difficult to find credible information about social media etiquette. I found this paper that highlights some do’s and dont’s that are pretty great and also found a diagram that i will attach below that displays it in a fun way!
- ” Everything lives on the Internet indefinitely!
- Do not speak on behalf of the employer unless authorised.
- Do not share confidential information about the employer.
- Any communication is public record, and could be revealed to a third party.
- Give credit to authorship.
- Be respectful of each person, as well as his/her opinion and right to express it.
- Respect other employees’ right to privacy.
- Do not conduct business communications through social media.
- Comply with all applicable laws , as well as copyright restrictions.
- When engaged in social media, you forfeit your right or expectation to privacy in any communication.
Now that social media has become part of our day to day lives, its easy to forget that when we use these sites we are leaving a digital footprint which contains a lot of information. Accessing and using Social Media sites online pose certain dangers to our privacy. These footprints we leave behind, once they are on the web they are their for good.
Some simple steps to lower the risks involved are pretty easy to follow so listen up!
- Edit the privacy setting to suit your needs!
- Make sure to turn off location services. Most social media sites automatically upload your location when posting.
- Keep your passwords secure and try and use different password for each site.
These few simple steps are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to online privacy. There are plenty of online resources that have plenty more information on online security, . I found the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner goes into a little more detail about the risks and what you can do if the worse does happen.
I love social media!
Essentially social media lets you interact with others and share and create content through online communities.
Social media present great marketing opportunities for all types of organisations. At the very least an organisation can use social media to:
- promote the name of the organisation
- tell customers about what you do and how you do it
- find out what customers think of your organisation
- attract new people
- build stronger relationships with existing customers.
Creating an environment within social media that is in fact, social, is what i intend to do.
I absolutely love listening to podcast. I find it a really simple and interesting way to learn.
In class today, Margie mentioned the “Dear Listener” podcast, created by librarians at the State Library of Victoria.
The podcast from How Stuff Work, such as Stuff You Should Know and Stuff Mom Never Told You, are amongst my favourites.
I also like all that is produced by Gimlet Media, as there content is modern and very entertaining.
Hello Blog, my old friend…
I apologise for neglecting your over the last few weeks but I have good reason! I hit my head and forgot, literally…I’m okay now, so lets get on with it!
Ive been playing around, more than anything, with my draft of the school website.
Tonight and tomorrow I plan on doing a lot of the research and bit by bit adding and adapting my site to suit. Im working my way through the list provided of criteria that the site must have, one by one and making it work!
Class notes –
What elements are crucial in a school library website